Growth comes in all shapes and sizes.
Sometimes it’s that light-bulb moment catapulting you to choose differently.
Sometimes it’s that movie you’re watching or that song you hear on the radio that feels like it’s speaking only to you, and it’s high time you listen.
Sometimes it’s a change of venue or change of career that flings you into perspective-seeking mode and finds you on a path that feels uncomfortable yet comfortable simultaneously.
Maybe you heard a new podcast, really listened when the yoga instructor talked about mindfulness, or finally realized that you’re doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.
Whether you’re smacked on the head with the hammer of perspective or you set out on your own journey searching for that one thing, you’ve taken a step, made a decision, and are ready to act.
No grand gestures are necessary to start on this new road. Actually, sometimes the smallest tweaks pack the biggest punch.
- You might decide to stop caring so much about what society tells you to do or what your family might think and act in a way that makes your heart happy.
- You might stop being afraid of being on your own and go to a movie or a café and actually enjoy it.
- You might buy a new pair of sneakers and head to that trail for no other reason than you want to.
- Perhaps you’ll start saying yes more, treating yourself with the same kindness you show others and telling those fears and worries to just shut up.
There will be setbacks and stumbles and confusion all along the journey. Don’t be discouraged—keep going.
What if you decided to change? What if you decided that there’s more, you’re interested, and you want to find out what else is out there?
We’re never too old for new goals, new interests, new hobbies, or new choices. We don’t have to stay in the tiny boxes that our families, our friends, our colleagues or society places us.
You matter—start believing that. It’s okay if the old you would never have done this before, taken this chance, tried that thing or thought like this. In fact, it is the desire for awareness, acceptance of change, and the hunger for a different way that brought you here—embrace it.
Who knows where this journey will lead, but taking that first step, getting out of your own way, having the courage to choose you is more significant than you know. Don’t stop now.
You’re on your way to finding you.
4 Places to Find Encouragement for Personal Growth and Development
- Ted Talks: A compilation of TED talks regarding personal development & growth
- Psychology Today: 5 Steps to Positive Life Change
- Martha Beck: Growing Wings, the Power of Change
- The Independent: 12 Ways to Push Yourself Out of Your Comfort Zone Every Day
Whether you consider yourself as fierce a warrior as Princess Leia, Carrie Fisher has some advice for all of us: “Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What’s important is the action. You don’t have to wait to be confident. Just do it an eventually the confidence will follow.”
We can’t wait to hear what you’ve been up to. Tell us about it in the comments below. Let’s start a dialog.
See you in two weeks.